December 29, 2009

"Good morning! Express! Good morning everyone!"


As I exited the train station onto the windy, freezing DC streets, the only thought in my head was how much I didn't want to be where I was. The first thing I heard was "Good morning! Good morning everyone! Good morning!" and I was immediately bitter about how not good this morning was.

The next thing I heard was "Express!" and I realized the woman in the crossing guard-esque neon yellow vest with reflecty strips was handing out the free daily paper. I didn't take one, but that's not really the point. What really struck me was the woman; for every "Express!" she fit in 3 or 4 "Good morning!" and "Good morning everyone!"s. Now I have no idea how someone handing out a free newspaper than can be picked up from the bins, literally, on nearly every corner of DC gets paid, BUT I do know that I can't muster that kind of enthusiasm or good spirit for my fellows in the morning, and I'd wager I make a little more. In addition, I don't have to stand in the freezing wind and be systematically ignored by 80% of the people passing me by. What struck me most was the "everyone" she tagged on the end. Her wishes weren't just for those who stopped to take one or even took it in stride, it was for everyone leaving the station on their way to work or school.

I was waiting for the light to change listening to her wish all those people ignoring her a good morning, and I decided "dammit, if she can wish everyone a good morning and stand in the cold to hand out free papers in that ridiculous vest, then the least I can do is smile and be determined to have that good morning." Now I'm not sure exactly what I can change about my behavior at work to do that, but I know I can change my focus. I can be thankful for this lovely office, this well-paying job, my beautiful girlfriend, my loving family, my adoring fans...wait. I think the best way is for me to keep the smile that started on that street corner on my face. A smile will let everyone know "Yes, I am having a good morning, and you should too, because you aren't standing outside handing out papers."

Maybe the entire message won't come along quite so clearly, but hopefully it'll be a little contagious.


Lord, may I be a man who thinks of others first
May I be a man who says 'good morning everyone'
May the joy of one smile spread like a wildfire
And may it engulf the hearts of all who see it

No comments:

Post a Comment