So I made this thing for frequent updates of the goings-on in my life, but when it comes right down to it, I'm usually too involved with or recovering from those goings-on to sit down and reflect on them in writing. A lot has happened since February, when I last wrote in this. It seems like the other day I was just about to jump in my car, risking life and limb to drive in the snow, writing the random, rhyming verse below. Things that need updating serve to show how easily we can lose track of the time.
And I shouldn't lose track of the time because I could lose track of the events that took place during that time. Events like you breaking your ankle. When I read that blog post you wrote about me taking care of you, I was dazzled. The way you put to words the events of the weekend brought tears to my eyes. And you could've just written an angry post on the inconveniences of breaking it in the first place, but you didn't. Being there, taking care of you...I love you for the trust you place in me to do that. Taping that garbage bag onto your leg, my thoughts were on how, when I was taking the tape off later, I would want to rip it fast enough so as not to make you endure it's sting for a moment too long, while also not pulling too fast so as too pull your skin unduly hard and cause you excess pain. And that's love in that balance. To make sure you don't hurt a moment longer than you have to, I'll take care of you.
And so the adventure continued.
There was the cherry blossom festival, which was totally fun. I had never been so close to national memorial! The Washington monument really is enormous. Too bad we missed the actual cherry blossoms, but they'll be back. The coolest part, without question, was the band with the shamisen player. I think their name was "Fire & Ice" or some other Japanese bad-assery.
Your formal was really fantastic. It was totally weird having that pledge pump my beer, but at the same time, it was pretty sweet. Couldn't bring myself to make them do it next time I refilled though. I'm totally remembering names now, which I'm happy about. I feel like that means I'm understanding who you're closest to, because they're the ones I interact with the most.
My Uncle's wedding was also a great time. I'm glad it was in New Jersey, as opposed to that last wedding we went to. I really loved introducing you to my family. Having met a fairly huge portion of yours, in addition to the awesomeness of getting to introduce you as my girlfriend, I felt there was something symbolic about you getting introduced to my extended family. We were at a dazzling wedding. Rosalie was in her tiara and my dad was toasting my uncle. And we were at the table with Vin and Becky, Nick and Cori, and assorted cousins and their wives/dates/fiances. And it felt so natural. After how awesomely we handled the cocktail hour table we sat at with whoever that Italian woman and her super Italian mom were, I felt prepared for whatever else the night could bring. We make a good 'us'.
And Bamboozle was just crazy. Between Kesha and her machine gun guitar, Matt and Kim rocking out and climbing scaffolding, and Girl Talk with the leaf blower toilet paper shooter, I haven't been to a more fun show in a long-ass time.
And so I'm a month away from coming back. Coming back to NJ. Coming back to you. Coming to your bed that will be 'our' bed. Coming to an apartment that will be 'our' apartment. Gah, it's so imminent and yet, with so much to be done, it seems so far away. But it's all good. In the end, I know where I'll be and who I'll be there with, so whatever has to happen to get me there is worth it. Lots of drives, lots of paint, lots of phone calls to utilities and the like, but in the end..you. <3
And we get this sweet, free vacation to 'historic Williamsburg' first.
June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment